10 February 2012

Finish it up Friday: the one with the bags and R2D2


That's my inspiring quote of the year. I turn 35 this year and I've been thinking about how I haven't done much. Well, when I'm being a dork I think I haven't done much. Then I think about what I have done:
  • completed my bachelor's degree (I was pregnant twice during this process, had two newborns along the way)
  • Made five beautiful babies
  • Attended one of the best culinary schools
  • Got my husband into law school
So Julia is my inspiration, because there is so much more I want to do!

On to my week. Didn't get a whole lot done.

See, there I go again. I did get a whole lot done, but not a lot on the sewing front. Not what I wanted to get done. But I'm super excited with what I did accomplish.

Made these two bags for my oldest daughter. She needed some bags, she tells me, for stuff. Roger that. I bought this pattern (buy the pattern - the tutorial one is awesome, but all the different sizes are so great - I've got plans to make dozens more!).

Can you tell she likes kitty cats?

On to the Dresden saga. I'm still loving my Dresdens. I love that I can sit down and do one if I only have a few minutes, or get five done if I have more time (which I never do). The box of wedges is always on my sewing table so that when I can, I steal away and make another one.

I tried out a just pinks and reds. Your thoughts? I'm kinda liking it. I've got another one ready to sew that is just greens and yellows and it's super cute too. Who knows, I might just make them into pillows.

Source: etsy.com via Jennie on Pinterest




This is my William. He is my oldest son (6). He is the only child I have who has eyes like mine.
Seriously, how do you say no to those eyes? I can't. And when he told me his blanket was falling apart, I had to do something. I had to set aside the girly Dresdens to make a manly quilt for my big boy.

There's a backstory here - see, William's blanket that is falling apart was a quilt we'd received when we got married. When he was little, he adopted it. It goes everywhere with him and has been much loved. But the binding is falling to pieces and there are several other issues. And it's kinda girly too.

Enter a quilt made to look like his favorite Star Wars character. R2D2. I am so unbelievably proud of this quilt. It is the very first non-baby quilt I've made with a specific person in mind. I love love love how it turned out.

He's standing on a chair for me and it's still too big for him to hold up. See that smile? So worth it. Just have to get some red minky to back it with, baste, quilt and bind and I've got one happy little man!

The background and borders is this awesome star print by Michael Miller. And the stars glow in the dark. So cool. Now he'll want me to turn off the light at night!

That's been my week. Linking up with crazy mom quilts and Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

15 comments:

  1. Visiting through Crazy Mom Quilts. Great r2d2 quilt. What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt for your little guy! You should be very proud of everything you accomplished and will...I went back to school when my kids were little and know what a challenge it can be on the whole family.
    Good luck to all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bags, kitties are adorable!! And pink and red Dresden plate - gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't those the easiest quickest bags you've ever made? I love that pattern! Your dresden is fabulous, I love pink and red, oh and dresdens too!
    I think you've got a lot accomplished, but sometimes we need to make a list to show ourselves what we've done. I went to culinary school when I was 37, after my kids were all in school full time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should never say "no" to those eyes. I love the R2D2 quilt, very original. And your "scrappy" Dresden Plate block looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I do the math correctly?!? You've got 5 children under the age of 6! My goodness, Jennie, you have accomplished a lot! And from the smile on William's face, he is one happy boy. And yes, I think the Dresden plates would make lovely pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. R2D2 on a quilt? how awesome is that! I love those bags - I've been seeing them pop up everywhere. I think I will have to break down and buy the pattern soon. having the instructions for different sizes would be so handy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would pay for that pattern! My son (5) also loves Star Wars, and that would just make his year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the quilt you made for your son. Use the dresden to make your self a quilt it will be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love that R2D2 quilt! What a great quilt for a great kid!! And your bags look awesome!! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. R2D2! Be still my heart, I love that quilt. I'm sure my 26 year old son would love to have one. Your Dresden Plate block is gorgeous. The fabrics work beautifully together.

    I didn't even have my first child until I was 37, so I think having 5 happy, well loved children by the time you are 35 is a major accomplishment. It's especially impressive when you think of all of the lives your children will touch in a special way because of the life you gave them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great week you had, sounds like agreat life too. Beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'd be proud too...its stunning...is this your design...can i purchase this pattern

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I have been reading your back posts - and now my son wants a quilt like that!!! Did you design it yourself? Impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an awesome quilt! Where did you find the pattern for it?

    ReplyDelete

"The more things you do, the more you can do."

Lucille Ball