17 May 2014

Color Attitude Adjustment

I have an attitude problem.

I have a long list of colors I don't like. Mostly pastels, and dark greens, burgundies, navies. I lean toward bright, saturated colors. It's what I like. It's what makes me happy. Blame it on years in Seattle, all those gray skies.

Like low-volume? Don't speak the language. Don't get it. I think it's pretty, but I wouldn't know the first thing about working with that sort of color palette.

Enter my awesome Texan in England friend Cristina. She always gets me thinking. She blogged (see the link) the other day about color discrimination and I thought, yep, that's me. So, to blatantly copy what she did, I went looking for appealing pictures that featured my nemesis.

Pink.

Please don't hate me Jennifer. And any other pink lovers.

This girl is not a pink lover. I like it when it's paired with lots of other colors I love, like red, aqua, blue, green, yellow, orange. But solo? Nope. And especially not pastel pink. Hot pink, okay.

Then I uploaded those pinky pictures to Play Crafts (which Cristina introduced me to - see how awesome she is?). Here's a few I came up with.

Not only does this one have pink, but it also has taupe. The word taupe always makes me think of paste for some reason. Still, I love this color palette.


Okay, yes, there's some blue in there to keep me happy. And a bright pink. But I love how they work together.


I went looking for tulip pictures. Might as well start with your favorite flower, right? And this one was twice as challenging because of the green. Green is my other nemesis. I think this one is my favorite.


But then there's this one. I think this picture is stunning, and the color palette I pulled out of it could be some kind of awesome.


What to say? It's pink!


Now you can laugh at me, but these three were my favorite fun ones. I love these colors. I'd love to make a big hexie quilt with any one of these palettes. LOVE them!

Okay, we've watched a LOT of Frozen. And listened to it in the car. And this is my favorite scene. I love the line in the song she's singing as she walks out onto this balcony. And the colors are just gorgeous! I actually did two of these because there are so many colors to pull out of this picture - violets, blues, yellows, peach, pink.


Another favorite scene with gorgeous colors. I play this song on the piano more than I'd like to admit.


The colors are just so vibrant! Love Elsa. She's my favorite.


So I'm thinking I'll challenge myself. But then how do you make a solids quilt? Do I find prints that match the solids, or just stick with the solids? Time to search Pinterest!

And that Elsa quilt is so totally going to happen. It's not if. It's when.

10 comments:

  1. oah that is great! I am always holding up my Kona card to a printed image and trying to see what is closest. I uploaded one image and one of my fabrics I picked was a match.
    I am doing GenX Quilts Block of the Month in solids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!!! Wow!!!! All of the pallets are beautiful and magical!!!!! I would choose all of them!!!! The Elsa quilt quilt will be wonderful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's pretty darn funny about your dislike for pink and green, two of my favorites! But I digress, I have an idea of a great pattern to look for to do a solid color quilt...It's named Plain Spoken, from the book The Modern Quilt Workshop by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr. It was published in 2005, may be out of print now. But it's a great quilt, lends itself to all different kinds of color palettes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PINK PINK PINK PINK PINK! You know it makes sense, my friend :)
    Great post, love the raises too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the raises? Damn iPad spell corrector ... I'm sure I typed 'taupes'!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used the Frozen and Tangled scenes. Now I'm going to have to do that with Cinderella! I love all the pictures you picked--I think the second one is my favorite among the flowers with that burst of bright pink (admits the Pink Lover).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I was wondering what was going on with the pink infusion on my Pinterest feed. ;) Good combos! My nemesis is grey. I participated in a swap so now I have a whole bunch...I just don't know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee hee you had me laughing at your first few lines. Mine is orange. That was one of Cristina's wasn't it? I think it's because it looks horrible on me. Pink is fine, but yes it needs to be strong and hot, and preferably mixed with other colours in a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all need a color adjustment. There are some I definitely gravitate more naturally to. Fun time with palette builder, PlayCrafts is one of my all time favorite blogs - glad that Cristina introduced you to it.

    ReplyDelete

"The more things you do, the more you can do."

Lucille Ball