09 June 2016

Needle and Thread Thursday: Polka Dot Pinwheel Quilt

My baby girl, who is now four, is legendary in her love of polka dots. Bindings have gone missing if I happened to make them out of her favorite fabric. She squeals at the store if she sees a dress, or umbrella, or pajamas made up in polka dots.

I ordered a bundle of these rainbow-y dots and put together this gorgeous quilt. It's inspired by Cotton Way's Sweet Talk pattern - I didn't buy it; just figured out the measurements. I hope no one thinks that's awful. I mean, if you look at my patterns and can figure out all the measurements, have at it! Don't mind at all!



Little Miss was allowed to choose the backing, and went straight to the orange Minky. Okay then. I was banking on pink or purple, but orange is awesome. Bound it in a fun stripey fabric and called it good. I machine bind the kid quilts around here because they go through the wash a lot. This one's already been through a couple of time (girly left it outside and the sprinklers came on!).


This is why I love making quilts! Sweet little girl, all snuggled up and cozy. Just makes my heart smile.


Checking this baby off my 2QFAL list. Now I'm on a Weekender Bag kick for a couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! So bright and colorful--no wonder your little girl loves it! And not a big deal that you saw it and figured it out on your own without the pattern. I do that if I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME! I love your color choices and how it was finished with minky. Making a quilt with a pinky backing is on my to do list. I agree with you about the patterns--some are so simple to figure out you have too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this bright, cheery quilt. Perfect for kids! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a happy quilt! love all those lovely dots. Orange minky...yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very bright and cheerful! I have not used minky as a backing yet because I heard it doesn't shrink but then the front would so I'm not sure how that works out, but yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colorful quilt, love it! Good luck with the bag making!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that quilt pattern inspired you. Seems a shame that you aren't willing to support her efforts to photograph and post it. You wouldn't have made the quilt without the inspiration and you seem happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I don't understand your comment - I linked to her pattern for anyone else who'd like to make the same quilt. I thought that was pretty supportive of her efforts. But I'm not going to pay $9 for a pattern I can easily figure out on my own.

      Delete
  8. This is a lovely finish! Thanks so much for linking up with the Finish-A-Long, on behalf of all of the hosts :)

    ReplyDelete

"The more things you do, the more you can do."

Lucille Ball