04 May 2012

Finish it up Friday: the one with the excuses

What with teething babies, sick everyone, potty training toddlers and law school finals (not for me, but the studying meant for an absentee husband and father), I haven't spent a whole lot of time sewing. I did manage to finish up these two dresses for my oldest daughter:


 They are supposed to be "play" dresses, but if that were really the case, I should have made them dark brown. This girl loves to play in the dirt. So they will be playdate dresses, when I know she'll be having tea parties and such.

I do have some beef with the pattern companies. For the bodice, I made a size 7, but the tiers were on the short side, so I made the size 14 tiers and the dress is still just mid-calf (I was thinking it might even hit her ankles!). I'm not neurotic about modesty, but I'm not happy with the super short stuff I see in pattern catalogs these days. It's bad enough to see it in the stores. What will I do when she's actually 14? Yikes. I'm going to bury my head in the sand and avoid that thought.

I've also pulled out this quilt and am cruising away getting it finished. I've got about 10ish more blocks to go. If I'm lucky, I can get it completely done by next week. If I'm feeling nice, I'll send it to Seattle with my husband while he's on his internship.
If I'm feeling nice. I'm going to back it in yellow Minky, so it's going to be super warm and cuddly.

Linking up at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Can't wait until Amanda Jean starts up her Friday Finish linky parties again. In the meantime, I'll keep finishing things up!

Have a lovely weekend - it's cold here, so I'm cooking a turkey dinner tonight. Thanksgiving in May - can't beat it!

3 comments:

  1. I hear you about super-short fashions...it just makes me cringe. The dresses are super cute. Bet she's proud you're such a crafty mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, with my two daughters even the 2ts are getting questionable! Those dresses are supercute and look great on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that string quilt!! Great colors. Wow - and you sew their dresses too - impressive!!

    ReplyDelete

"The more things you do, the more you can do."

Lucille Ball