03 April 2015

Friday Finish: MAXI Quilt Revolution round 2!

I began the Maxi Quilt Revolution last fall. Mini quilts are everywhere, and they are very twee and precious and cute and I get it. But when I want to be warm, a mini quilt isn't going to cut it. And when I need a big quilt in a hurry, I don't want to make 20 12-inch blocks to get it finished.

To solve my own problem, I came up with the anti-mini quilt. And I really enjoy making these Maxi Quilts. So fast, and so fun.

My first is the maxi version of my Catching Rays quilt. She takes just 8 fat quarters plus your background fabric. Four blocks and a border later, you have a 72" square quilt. Perfect for a picnic blanket.



Make it with Christmas fabrics and it's a stunning wall quilt. Doesn't it look just like a big snowflake? (I used Kate Spain's newest holiday line Jingle).


My second is the maxi version of my Fresh Air quilt. I wanted to try an all solids version, but you can make this quilt with 8 different half yard cuts (you'll end up with some great scraps, or you could use the extra for a scrappy binding).
A photo posted by Jennie (@porchswingquilts) on
She finishes at 90" square (36" blocks) and really showcases larger prints that get lost in smaller blocks.

My last is the maxi version of my Flower quilt. Flower has been my best selling pattern, and I knew I wanted larger blocks. I decided to make some sunflowers with it, but she looks fantastic with so many other fabrics.
The blocks are 32", and she finishes at 76" square.

All these patterns are for sale in my Craftsy store. Enjoy!

Oh, and mini quilts are on their way. I suppose it's time to give in. And checking off the Catching Rays Maxi from the 1QFAL list.

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic quilt patterns! So inspiring!!!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Are you going to take over the Capitol with these too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. I think I'm secretly in love with the Catching Rays Maxi. How did that happen? Eight FQs, you say?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first one very much! I might just have to make this one ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the maxi quilt!! Really loving the Maxi version of flower!! But catching rays makes me swoon.

    ReplyDelete

"The more things you do, the more you can do."

Lucille Ball